Il 01/12/2017 08:01, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus ha scritto:
And your last 3 words is the most important part - "if done right". In my 20+ years of using Delphi, I can count of one hand how many company products I've seen "done right" using the RAD style approach. And I've worked at plenty of companies in that 20+ years. It seems "if done right" is a near impossibility for most Delphi developers.

So I'm not saying its impossible, just very very unlikely. Using non-RAD approaches seems to guide the developer in better design, but yes, they could still screw that up too (without leadership guidance).

I don't believe you can give a general rule. The tool must be appropriate for the application. The word "programming" includes an universe of non compatible things. Something like "mechanical design". Designing a watch is something completing different than designing a monorail train.

We used Delphi, and now use Lazarus to design the human interface for automatic machines, where the visual part is the most important one. The RAD approach is the most efficient and productive. But when we had to interface the production data generated with company database, it turned out that one had to write a lot of non-visual code, and we found that RAD approach would just have confused things, leading to unreadable and inefficient code.

Just my 2 cents.

Giuliano