On 10/04/18 03:30, leledumbo via Lazarus wrote:
I am considering writing an IDE package to do this, but wanted to know ifanyone
knows if this has been done before
AFAIK, no. Previous  attempts don't embed actual terminal, but use aterminal
like component with application controlled command to execute.

Could I throw one thing in here which probably isn't immediately helpful.

A couple of months ago, working on Linux, I experimented with embedding Xnest/Xephyr sessions in LCL (GTK2?) panels, with the object being to present multiple copies of a program that refused to run more than one instance per X server on the same screen.

It didn't work directly, but I was /was/ in the end able to embed an xterm in an LCL panel, then embed Xnest/Xephyr in the xterm... it was crude since I'd put minimal effort into sizing etc. the panels, but it worked as a POC.

So I suspect that there's something- possibly a Window Manager hint- that's being unnecessarily propagated into panels that possibly needn't be, and that is likely to cause problems embedding at least some standalone programs (as distinct from specially-written components).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk