On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:15:23 +0300
Соболь Андрей Евгеньевич via lazarus <lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org>
wrote:

Hi, guys.

I am trying to do the lHelp more convenient.

Great!

And after I have
combined a chm indexes on start, I think about next step. What I
see...

1. Exist a contradiction of behavior for contex searching
through hh.exe (windows) an lHelp (this is for first start of help
subsystem):
- When I press F1 for hh.exe enabled for context searching, then
Lazarus send only one command - open chm file and seek TOC index
position.

What package opens hh.exe in Lazarus?

You can read here about this
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE

- When I press F1 for the lHelp enabled for context searching, then
Lazarus send group of command as

     got BeginUpdate
     got BeginUpdate
     got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\fcl.chm, url /index.html
     got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\fclres.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\fpdoc.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\ideintf.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\lazutils.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\lcl.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\prog.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\ref.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\rtl.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\toc.chm,
url /index.html got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\user.chm,
url /index.html got EndUpdate
     got rturl, filename M:\lazarus\docs\chm\ref.chm,
url /ref/refse92.html#keyword_function got EndUpdate
     got rtmisc/mrShow
Lazarus sends commands for opening all chm files and the last
command is for performing contex search. As result hh.exe always does
it more faster then lHelp. I think behavior have to be same, only a
perform of context seaching. On second request lHelp can open next
file and index and so on.

Do you mean when user press F1 on an identifier, then lhelp can open
only the target file directly and open the other files on idle?

Yes, but now I have strict commands to open files before. For to do such as you said I have to get one command to do search and to know where to get another files.

2. I think that the lHelp (or user) should
make a decision myself,

Do you mean "myself" or "by itself"?
Yes, it is my mistake.

open all indexes on first start or none (for
contex search primarily). It should have own preferences for that.
But the lHelp don`t have any information about searchpath where is
chm files. I can add a new command for sending searchpath or add new
option to Lazarus (open all indexes on first start - see paragraph
1).

A searchpath command sounds good.

I think should be a preference in the lHelp to open all files on start or not. Then we can change which files to open on start.

3. lHelp got a start command with the option "--hide" at start. Then
lHelp gets many commands on openning of indexes. I think that I have
the right to show lHelp or splash screen on getting first command.
Without this, the user gets a hanging program (1-3 sec) and does not
understand what happens. This is for the case when I open all the

What is your opinion about it?

Yes, this needs improvement and any help is welcome.

Mattias

Andrey
  • [Lazarus] lHelp... Соболь Андрей Евгеньевич via lazarus
    • Re: [Lazar... Mattias Gaertner via lazarus
      • Re: [L... Andrey Sobol via lazarus
      • Re: [L... Werner Pamler via lazarus
      • Re: [L... Marco van de Voort via lazarus
        • Re... Andrey Sobol via lazarus
          • ... Marco van de Voort via lazarus
            • ... Mattias Gaertner via lazarus
              • ... Andrey Sobol via lazarus
                • ... Mattias Gaertner via lazarus
    • Re: [Lazar... Sergey Bodrov via lazarus