On Sun, 19 Feb 2023, Martin Frb wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:

On 19/02/2023 12:28, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to enable/disable code folding on a per-language basisĀ  ?
No, or only in the way you described below. Or by changing the source in each highlighter, and make the pretend they don't fold.

That seems a strange way. Since folding can be globally switched on and off, it should also be
possible to switch it on/off on a language basis.

Well, it just hasn't been implemented. There is no reason not to add it, if someone wants to do it.

To entertain my lack of imagination: What is the issue, if e.g. Pascal shows fold indicators, and you just don't use them?

For starters, some people think adding

{%region /fold}

to the code is a good idea. I think not.

Secondly, I sometimes inadvertently click on the fold markers.

The above 2 reasons are why I disabled it. Also, I think that if you need
folding in Pascal, your code is not very well structured. As a general rule,
I think a procedure may not occupy more than 50 lines. If you adhere to
that, folding is simply not needed.

(strictly my personal opinion)

In any case, there also remains the "fold selected lines" folding.

That would defeat the purpose. I use the folding to see if the HTML tags are closed properly without having
to select them.

You don't have to select them.

If you do select text, the gutter will show an additional fold (actually "hide") symbol, allowing you to collapse whatever text is selected.

Btw, folding may not be the best way to check for correct html nesting.
IIRC, the highlighter tries to find a matching-name closing tag, even if that means to skip other tags.

No doubt. But there are other uses: in large html structures (HTML can be
very verbose in some CSS frameworks, there is no way around it) , it helps to be able to see the larger structure.

Ideally, the fold indicators are also not visible in HTML/XML, but I can simply right-click a div and ask to collapse/expand that div.

Michael.