On 26/07/2023 16:05, Luca Olivetti via lazarus wrote:
El 3/7/23 a les 13:33, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus ha escrit:

- Compile, debug and run

I don't remember the exact wording but, when converting the settings from lazarus 2.2 (which I copied in a different directory), it offered to use the fpdebug backend.

Then, when compiling a *existing* project, it tells me to use a suitable debugging format (with -gw3 selected, previously I used gdb with -g).
I accept but the breakpoints don't work.
I tried the other two options with the same result.
With gdb backend and -g the breakpoints work.

With a *new* project the breakpoints work even with the fpdebug backend.

This is under win32, under linux (64 bits), the breakpoints work even in the old project (the same one I used to test under win32).

What happens to the breakpoint icon when you start the debugger?

Before you start the debugger, it should have a "?".
When you start it, what happens.
You can also check in the breakpoint-windows, if you make the first column wide enough there is some text.

If you remove the breakpoint (can be done while the app is running / after you checked the above), is there a "small blue dot" in the gutter? On the very same line as the breakpoint had been?

Gdb would accept breakpoints at non-code lines.
FpDebug needs the breakpoint on a code line.

Note that
   if condition then
     exit;  /// this exit is only a codeline in -O- // with -O1 its optimized away