Putting a splash screen up stopped all the complaints of "It takes _ages_ to load". The funny thing it is takes precisely the same amount of time to load to a point of fully functional now, but the users all said "Wow you sped up the loading *heaps*". It's a little psychological I guess.

That's true. But instead of a cheap splash screen I would expect such applications to give some information about *what* it is doing (while doing it). Of course, it costs more time to code but to me it shows that the programmers take care of the users.