On 08/16/2009 08:12 PM, Den Jean wrote:
Hi,

International Olympiad in Informatics
allows only c++ and free pascal.

Provided editors : ... lazarus ...

http://www.ioi2009.org/index.jsp;jsessionid=F84941DF0A0EE4138BC2E44BA6DBE5EB?ln=2&id=361

I was on the Host Technical Committee:

http://www.ioi2009.org/index.jsp?id=408&ln=2

where I helped with the Pascal support (install & configuration of fpc and lazarus on the contest linux distro, etc.). I also did a Pascal to C translation of one of the authors' solutions of one of the hardest tasks in order to help determine the time limits for the task, so that it is possible to score 100 points on the task with Pascal. Surprisingly, the Pascal program ran exactly as fast as the C program (the difference was really really minimal and it was slightly slower on some tests, but slightly faster on others).

And here's the kicker: the winner - Henadzi Karatkevich (who is only 14-years old!!!) from Belarus used Pascal to solve the tasks!

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/08/15/1523255/14-Year-Old-Wins-International-Programming-Contest?from=rss