On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 04:58:41PM +1000, Lance Collins wrote:
> I suspect the attraction of C# is because if you are developing for
> .NET it makes sense to use the language the evil empire uses or your
> employer requires you to use.

Well that's certainly it. And going with the flow is certainly a factor
there.

But I think adapting some shallow syntax here and there doesn't really bring
you up to speed with that.

It's a bit like buying a pig instead of a horse, and then putting a saddle
on top of it, and then claim handling the pig is so much easier because both
have a saddle. Totally bypassing the fact that the pig is still no riding
animal, and the saddle makes no sense on a pig.

However being different doesn't pay in corporate life, so people try to find
the weirdest arguments to justify being similar, even if it doesn't have
direct merit. It is just more easily marketable, but somehow people aren't
willing to acknowledge that. (since that would mean admitting you are on the
losing team)

> I rather doubt the reason anyone moves to a C dialect is due to the
> purity of the language syntax.

I think if you are really sensitive to these kind of arguments, (or your
boss is), it is time to stop kidding yourself, and go with the flow and
adopt C#, VS and everything that goes with it (and also assume you are
stuck to Windows, yes I know Mono. Nevertheless). It makes no sense trying
to follow an alternate course and still try to blend in.

But adding some minor C# syntax to Delphi doesn't make it .NET or C#, and I
don't buy the copy-paste argument either, since I can't see any regular
practical case where this would be advantegeous. Specially since you still
would have to fix up all other modifiers like calling convention.