On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Marco van de Voort wrote:

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:16:48AM +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
all. Mapping this to different types dependend on compiler switches
or whatever is a can of worms. I would prefer that one of the clear
genuine string types is used directly. Lots of code is dependend on
the string type.

That's why you can set the mode for each unit or via a switch for
each package/project.

That could as well be to not break old code, not to signify they both still
have a place.

And I think shortstring should generally be discouraged. The standard is
always "255 is enough", but sooner or later somebody hits it:

No, it should not be discouraged.

I, for one, use shortstring extensively, and have never "hit this limit" in 12 years of working, because I know when to use and when not to use
a shortstring.

Shortstring has it's uses. It still works faster and uses less memory
when used correctly. It also causes less memory fragmentation then.

Michael.