Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
Hi,

Our company projects requires a flexible and easy to use setup program to
work on various Linux distros as well as Windows. Mac support will probably
come in a year or two, because currently our applications are only
available on Linux and Windows, so that is the platforms we are focusing on.

Anyway, I would like to know what features your guys (as developers) would
like to see in a setup program.  Most of the features listed below are
already implemented or at least went through the brain storming and design
idea phase. Here is our requirements and ideas we came up with:

* Linux distro independent setup. Against the normal methods, we do not
  want to waist time creating .rpm, .deb, .tgz, .tbz etc setups for the
  thousands of Linux distros out there. Adobe Reader, Jave SDK and JRE
  are just a few applications that don't follow the package management
  systems of each distro.

To bad, the ideal setup creator would get a setup.xml and compile it to .rpm, .deb, windows installer, .dmg with Mac OS X package, etc.

Kind of like the Lazarus idea, one source for many OS/widget set combinations.

In setup lingo: many OS/package combinations.

But from the maintainer of fpgui which doesn't use an existing, familiar to the user widget set, another way (one kind of installer that runs on all systems, but does not match an existing packaging system) does not surprise me :-)

Vincent