My boss was actually very surprised that there are no standards
in web development. It is not what he was told by other people :-)

Standards does exist. It's the problem of the implementator, especially the browser makers, who each thinks a smart a** and ignore those standards.

Gee wiz, where has he been for the last 10 years?  :-)

Well, actually this doesn't happen only on web development, it happens almost on all things, especially in the software world. Is there any standard upon window managers (gtk1, gtk2, qt, etc)? Isn't it the main reason why you wrote fpGUI in the first place? Is SQL standard completely obeyed by all database engines? Even directory stuctures are different among Linux distros! I could go on with more examples, but you should get the idea.

I don't think it's fair to bash web development while in fact it also happens on desktop development. I'm just trying to be fair and objective. :)

--

-Bee-

...making buzzes at http://twitter.com/beezing
...writing stories at http://beeography.wordpress.com