On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 04:11:59PM +0100, J?rgen Hestermann wrote:
> > Developing software isn't about just clicking somewhere. It's also about
> > knowing where to find your info.
>
> Well, although I see why it is how it is I have to fully agree with Graeme
> regarding the very confusing web pages and the lack of structured information.
> I know that it's easy said while not having enought time (and knowledge) to
> improve the situation myself but that does not make the facts go away.
> I also had a hard time starting with Lazarus/Free Pascal and
> it's still not easy to find information.

Do realize though that it is the constant change in the project that causes
this mostly. You'd need to revise the whole detailed website and all docs
every 3 months - half year that way. (since either a FPC or Lazarus release
would change that)

For that we would need a _lot_ of volunteers.

> That feeling may also be due to the fact that Turbo Pascal, Virtual Pascal
> and Delphi (where most Lazarus interested come from) had much better
> structured documentation.

The FPC docs are quite ok. They are way more extensive than e.g. VP.

> But they were commercial products and the comparison seems unfair. Still I
> would stongly disagree on saying that it's fine how it is now.

I think it is quite fine for the current resources, where documentation is a
by product, and website not even that. Major changes need major amounts of
new blood dedicated working on this.