On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 20:16 +0700, Klenongan wrote:
> And here's mine, with more 'elegant' touch to it. I use large fonts
> and white overall to make a neutral appearance --as I don't know
> Lazarus' "color"--. The page uses less text as possible on the front
> page, inspired by Mercurial, VLC, Wordpress website so that new
> visitors wont be overwhelmed by it.
>
> Preview:
> http://xs.to/image-FAED_4B6973FF.jpg
> http://xs.to/image-63BB_4B6973FF.jpg

I don't like this design at all. Bee's design is much better.

That's because people do not read text on websites. And this website has
a lot of text exlplaining .... things. Booorrriiinnnggg.. No-one reads
that.

What you expect on a home-page is links, links, links and a few lines
explaining things. Because every new-comer has a different reason to
come to that page. Some like screenshots, and decide what this product
is on those. They'll look at the page and search for the word
'screenshots'. Some others just want to download and try it. They look
for 'download'. Some want to see a tutorial to see what it is, those
will look for 'tutorial'... This page is just a lot of text.

What do I think when I look at the page with the cheetah. First I think:
Cheetah, maybe some site about animals? Then underneath I see, What is
Lazarus. Then I think, what does Lazarus have to do with animals? And
the text below it doesn't solve my problem.  I can read the FAQ, but
reading an FAQ just to see what the page is about... no...

Then on the right, where I would expect an advertisement or something. I
can read what Lazarus is. 'Lazarus is an IDE blahblab pascal gpl blah
windows, mac, linux.' Too much text, telling me nothing.

Then the text below 'downloads'... It's happy/small talk. It does not
add anything usefull. I know what a download is. And the developers
area... same. There's one difference though. In this case it's important
to know if it's about developers of Lazarus/fpc, or developers in
general. Well, this is not told in the happy-talk text below it.

Further, search is not where you would expect it (on the top). The news
section is only boring text.

And completely below I can read some jumbo-jumbo about css, ie6.. not
informative at all.

Now imagine someone looking at the 'bee'-page. He'll think:

This website is about lazarus, a cross platform software studio. Then:
Lazarus is an IDE, FreePascal a pascal compiler. They are really
cross-platform. (Without reading the text at all) There are releases and
I can download it or look at the features.

Oh, and there is recent news. (Not important what the news is,
offcourse)

We'll maybe I should have a look ehm... tutorials.
(screenshots/overview/FAQ...)

Much better.

Joost.