Adem wrote:
I am writing a general parser for DTD files and have made some headway.

The FCL xml parser (xmlread unit) can parse XML-conformant DTD files for
several years already.

I need to know the general (canonical?) name for '*%HTMLlat1*;' at the end of the following line:

<!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin1//EN//HTML" "HTMLlat1.ent">*%HTMLlat1*;

I don't seem to be able to find in documents/examples on the Net.

Does anyone know what such things are called?

I'm not sure I understood your question correctly. Such constructs are called "parameter entities", very similar to an include file. The tag <!ENTITY % name PUBLIC "foo" "bar"> declares the entity, and %name; is used to actually include it. The URI to retrieve such file depends on the language used; for XHTML 1.0 it will be "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent";

Regards,
Sergei