On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Bo Berglund wrote:

I am new to this list and I would like to get advice on the capabilities of
Lazarus.
My background is 15 years of Delphi programming (almost all versions Delphi1 to
BDS2006).
For the upcoming project I want to keep using Pascal if possible rather than
learn
and get productive in Java....

So:

1) Can I work in Windows or Ubuntu on the same project? I.e. are there
differences
in the IDE/compiler between the two work environments?

No. Linking is slightly slower on windows.

We use CVS to handle the sourcecode so checking in/out will handle the line
ending
differences between Windows and Unix. But are there other caveats?

None to my knowledge.

2) Can I compile in either environment for a third runtime platform?

Yes, but not easily.

I am especially looking for a GUI programming environment where the target
system
is Embedded Linux on ARM or Atom platform boards.

I recommend Lazarus on Ubuntu, cross-compile to arm. There is a FAQ available.

3) I need to access the serial communications channel from my programs, so what
is
the support available for RS232 communications in Lazarus/FPC?

There is the serial unit.

The target is an embedded board that is intended to communicate with a data
acquisition
system via RS232 (38400 baud, binary proprietary protocol).

4) The programs planned will also need to produce graphic rendering of the data
retrieved from the acquisition system, so what is the graphic capabilities of
Lazarus/FPC on the Linux platform?

Virtually the same as at least Delphi 7.

5) Can data be stored on memory cards/hard disk on an embedded system?

If the card/disk is mounted, it is just like writing any other file.

Michael.