On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 09:34:23PM +0200, Roberto Padovani wrote:
> I know it's me, and I beg your pardon for this, but every time I try
> to upgrade from a lazarus version to another...it's a mess.
> It happened before, but today I tried to upgrade from 0.9.28.3 to
> 0.9.30 stable releases

Don't upgrade. Carefully erase (everything!), and then reinstall.

> Uninstalling old versions, always leaves something behind. For example
> I had some packages of mine installed in the old one, and the new one
> complained it couldn't find the package file (so it created a dummy
> one)

I do agree that installers should ask if the old config should be reused.
They seem to be versioned, so that should be possible.

> It seems to me that I cannot uninstall completely.

Simply kill ~/.lazarus on *nix and -alikes, and lazarus dirs in your profile on
windows.
No need for drama.

> Generally speaking, why do I have to _install_ (in the win32 sense)
> lazarus?

I guess to preconfigure the configuration. In short to seed e.g. the FPC
source directory the installer just installed.

> Isn't it possible to have a portable installation?

To some degree yes. There are possibilities, and 0.9.30 should be again a bit
more capable than earlier.

The most important bits are -pcp=  (that sets the configuration directory)
and --lazarus-dir that sets the main lazarus dir. Then the some paths should
be initialized relative to these paths, and then some script should devise
where it is started and pass this info to lazarus using -pcp and
  --lazarus-dir

> If I compile it from scratch, set a few environment options and
> register some extension, should it work?

Environment options? There are no environment options. By default Lazarus
searches its config in the user profile. If it is not there, it initialize
an empty, but non functional one.

> The same is true for FPC, can it be portable?

Standalone FPC works slightly differently. It searches for (roughly)
/etc/fpc.cfg or ~/.fpc.cfg and that file should contain mainly the path to
 the RTL and other precompiled units.

Lazarus overrides that by generating and passing an own fpc.cfg. Not unlike
Delphi with dcc32.cfg btw. The info for that comes from Lazarus' own
configuration.