On 08/07/2011 12:16, David Riley wrote:
After I removed the references to TSynHighlighterPas and replacing them
with my own, I started to run in to this odd problem.  All of a sudden
when attempting to build, FPC reported that it was unable to find the
SynEdit unit.  SynEdit is included as a dependency in the project
inspector, and here's the bizarre part.  After reporting that it cannot
find the unit, Lazarus actually opens the SynEdit.pp file in the editor.
What the hell does it mean it can't find it and then opens it in the
editor.  Hovering the mouse over the unit in the Uses block shows the
correct location for the unit (/usr/lib/... on Linux, c:\lazarus\... on
Windows).  So I copied the files from my source directory in to my
project directory, and then it was suddenly able to find the Unit, and
reported the next unit TSynEditTypes or whatever missing.  Even more
bizarre, if I delete all references to SynEdit in my project, and
attempt to create one from the component palette, it is now referencing
my project directory as the location of the unit.

There is a difference between Lazarus and FPC finding it...

1) Do not copy the files from the SynEdit package to your path. never ever.
2) Do not add any -Fu -Fi or other custom path to your project, that points to synedit...

- In "project inspector", SynEdit is present as package under dependencies?
- Make sure you have only one version of FPC. As soon as 2 versions (even minor versions, even svn revisions) of FPC get's mixed, things go unexpected.... - Make sure, nowhere in your project, or in any path that you may have added yourself to the project, is a synedit.ppu (or any ppu for synedit*, except your highlighter) - Compile with -va (and look add all+hidden msgs) to see where fpc looks for the file, and why they may be rejected. (a lot of output in msgs)

I assume you create the new highlighter in code? As it is not registered, you can not ue it on the form designer. (nor put it by hand into the lfm)