Michael Schnell wrote:
On 07/14/2011 03:39 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Watch out here: I believe that there's some form of bug in (at least some variants of) VNC which prevents it working on ARM. Remember that you can also tunnel X over SSH.

Hmmm. I did not yet hear of problems of VNC on ARM. Maybe this is limited to AMS without MMU ?

Not knowing, can't say. What I do notice is that Debian for ARM doesn't bundle RealVNC but does include TightVNC, the latter works after a fashion but for some reason doesn't start a window manager..

The plan is to remotely attach to a running program and not to start a program remotely. So I suppose remote X is not an option.

If you wanted to attach to a single, running program rather than to a desktop there might be scope for fudging the VNC startup to give that program full control of the (simulated) X server.

Depends. As I've mentioned before, I find I can run programs on an NSLU2 "Slug" with only 32Mb, but I suspect that the issue here is how much "important" stuff (daemons etc.) gets swapped out and how long it would take to swap it back in if needed in a hurry. If there's a five-second hiatus every time somebody touches SSH with a port-scanner it's going to be a very effective DoS.
I did some tests with the slug. The thingy we are designing will have 128 or 256 MB, so chances are a lot better.

On the emulated system I've got 256Mb and it appears usable. The only thing I'd query here is whether, during the lifetime of the hardware, the software loaded on it will bloat to the extent to which 256Mb is no longer enough.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk