Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

On 08/03/2011 02:00 PM, Alexander Klenin wrote:
Anyway, my preferred solution would be to allow aliases in 'with' statement,
which would improve readability even further while sacrificing only a
few characters:

with a := MyCompomentList[0] do begin
  Rectangle(0, 0, a.Width, a.Height);
end;

A simple solution to something which I don't think is a problem either.
[I fully agree with Michael van Canneyt here]

I agree the above is indeed an acceptable solution.

But I do think it is a corner case, because it goes against pascal philosophy which says that all identifiers must be declared prior to being used.

How about

with const a = MyCompomentList[0] do begin
  Rectangle(0, 0, a.Width, a.Height);
end;

a is, after all, a constant: it can't be changed and doesn't occupy any storage.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk