2011/8/13 Flávio Etrusco :

> I don't think multi-threading is the desired approach.

Why not, it works for my applications I develop. It makes the UI much
more "snappy" to the end-user as well. All new PC's and millions of
existing PC's already have multi-core CPU's so why not use those
features. Why limit yourself to a single threaded application?

> IMO ideally we
> should have only one TSynEdit per window, and just switch "state" when
> switching tabs.

If I understood Martin correctly, Lazarus IDE still does processing on
the other files, so a delay is still to be expected because it is
single threaded, and the "active tab" is only set and processed at the
_end_ of processing all the opened files. By processing I mean:
creating a tab sheet, creating a synedit instance, open and load the
file. Other processing like scanning the unit by codetools is done
only when the IDE is idle.

> Also, parsing should be delayed to until the editor (or the TODO
> window, etc) is displayed.

I understood that this is already how Lazarus IDE works.

> BTW does anybody know how much memory gtk2 uses because of double-buffering?

MSEide also does double buffering as far as I know (who doesn't these
days), and it still uses much less memory.

Don't get me wrong. Yes I mentioned the delay in the tabs when loading
100+ units. But that is not my major concern, because that is not
normal daily usage. Though a benchmark is know not to be normal daily
usage. My main concern is how greedy Lazarus IDE is becoming with
memory.

--
Regards,
  - Graeme -