2011/12/26 Hans-Peter Diettrich <drdiettri...@aol.com>:
> ACK
>
> I'm not sure whether GUI effects (e.g. highlight item under the mouse...)
> can cause differences in the applicable CSS properties of an item. But even
> then the rendering and scrolling should not be slower than in an ordinary
> browser.

Apparently  somebody already tried to make this function exit
immediately when this method is called a second time (when one would
assume all its work has been done already) but for some reason this
did not work as expected and has strange side effects. The problem
(and the code involved in creating parts of the problem) is *much*
more comlex than I thought it should be.

And also I am 100% sure there is something fundamentally wrong with
this method itself, especially the following:

* the logic behind the control flow inside this method (when to apply which CSS)
* the way it returns only one of the 5 CSS objects it processes
* the purpose of returning this object at all (and how and for what it
is used by its caller)
* the argument list containing Owner and Prop which are already
properties of this class
* the existence of obvious hacks/workarounds without any comments
* comments in nearby/related parts of the code indicating that
unwanted things *do* happen for *unknown* reasons.

I think I need to study the code much longer and more carefully to
understand what exactly is going on here (and why). Now after I have
seen this code I cannot ever use it again without permanently having
to think about it in the back of my mind how it seems to be wrong and
how to fix it. Even if it actually works (or seems to work).
Eventually I will need to find a solution for this.

Or to quote Deep Thought: "my circuits are now irrevocably committed
to calculating the answer to the [...] Question"