On 27 January 2012 11:45, Michael Schnell  wrote:

> Yep and with your manual conversion "array" does provide a DocView context
> help. but... (see attached picture)

A known problem, and you would have know about this too if you opened
the ref.inf file on it's own - the first help topic explains this (the
text in RED on the cover page).

The fix:
-------
In the top right of DocView, change the Text Encoding combobox from
CP850 to UTF-8. Your text will now look fine.

The longer explanation:
----------------------------------
The original IBM ipf compiler used code pages - Unicode was
non-existent, or in its infancy. The OpenWatcom IPF compiler is more
lenient regarding the ipf text it processes. So creating ipf text
using UTF-8 is allowed. Unfortunately the OpenWatcom IPF Compiler
doesn't yet set the INF header info to say the text is UTF-8 encoded,
thus it defaults to CP850. I did file a bug report / feature request
but don't know how long it will take before it is implemented. DocView
doesn't try any text magic, it simply reads the text encoding setting
inside the INF file and uses that (which is the correct thing to do).

I am busy writing my own IPF Compiler in Object Pascal, which will
definitely have this fixed, plus a few other features. DocView will
then automatically detect the correct encoding for each INF file.

Yes, I could have written the FPC Language Ref doc in CP850, but
Unicode has much nicer glyphs for text drawings. The Language Ref doc
has lots of text syntax diagrams (unlike the PDF docs - I didn't opt
to use image for those syntax diagrams).

--
Regards,
  - Graeme -