Mattias Gaertner wrote:

I usually build Lazarus from source, downloading from svn. Nowhere there does it say anything about docs-chm, or it certainly said nothing when I started working like that four or five years ago.

So I go to http://www.freepascal.org/ and there's online documentation, or PDFs etc. Nothing to integrate with Lazarus.

True. "Integration" is not the goal of this kind of documentation.

But I'm tempted to say that it should be the goal of the IDE. In fact now that I think about it...

So I go to http://lazarus.freepascal.org/. There's no online documentation.

It's called "Wiki".

One suggestion if I may. The target URL of the IDE's "Help -> Online Help" menu entry doesn't have to be the same as that put up on the website. It might be useful if the target page were to display a choice:

*  Stable online documentation for the version of FPC/Lazarus detected.

* Suggestions as to how one of the available viewers can be set up to use these files locally.

* A pointer to somewhere- a (not necessarily the) wiki- where documentation is currently being edited so that a user can see if there has been recent clarification of something that's giving him problems.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk