Am 27.02.2012 16:06, schrieb waldo kitty:
On 2/27/2012 05:11, Sven Barth wrote:
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but my understanding is that you do
since there is one specific kernel call (in effect, telling the kernel
to release an unrecognised device to an unprivileged program) that won't
work otherwise.

I already managed the following some time ago for a scanner that was not
supported by SANE:
* setup a Windows VM in QEMU
* tell QEMU to pass the scanner to the VM

If I now started the VM I became a "permission denied" error when it
tried to
open the corresponding dev node. Now I simply changed (at that time
without udev
rules, because they somehow didn't work as I wanted them to) the group
of the
corresponding device file (/dev/usb/{bus}/{device}) to a group my user
is part
of and Tada! it worked. So no, you don't need Root access for an
unrecognized
device.

why not just add your user(s) to that group the device was in? this
would/should give the same access capabilities... or am i missing
something else?

The USB device files are by default created with root:root. I changed the one of my scanner to root:plugdev by hand (and yes, my user belongs to plugdev ;) )

Regards,
Sven