On 02/28/2012 03:40 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
"ByteString" only requires a dedicated encoding (value), which makes it incompatible with other encodings, and thus disables all conversions. Such an encoding doesn't break Delphi compatibility, but allows to use all stringhandling functions with it.

The colleague I mentioned told me that with Delphi XE2 (but maybe nit with Delphi versions < XE2 and >= 2009) "ANSIString" _is_ exactly the "pre 2009" string type, while "String" (and friends" is the new style dynamically encode string type. As I don't have any Delphi >= 2009, I can't verify this, but at least using the assumptions produced a project workable with both our versions.

-Michael