Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

Then it's just amazing how toolkits like fpGUI and Qt managed to
implement cross-platform drag-n-drop by giving the toolkit users a
single DND API to work with - completely hiding the complexities of
each platform. Wow, we must be good at what we do. ;-)

This demonstrates that the support doesn't require widgets. As well as:

Oh, and Qt moved in v4.4 to a single handle per window design, thus no
widget has its own window handle any more. They also openly admitted
that they had to do a lot of "fake window handle" trickery to get DND
to continue working on platforms like Windows - which require window
handles for DND to work.

Every window already has a Handle, no trickery is required here. What remains is processing the messages sent to this HWND, what can be called "black magic" only by marketing experts, not by coders which understand the GUI principles.

[...]

But please don't let that deter you from submitting a fully working
x-platform DND implementation without window handles to the FPC
project. I'm sure everybody would welcome such a contribution, and I
would love to study your implementation.

You too did not really understand DND basics :-(

As I already mentioned, a window handle is always required for the processing of mouse moves etc. in the window manager. You should understand that this handle is related to a window - a region on the screen - not to a widget.

DoDi