I appreciate that there might be no guaranteed portable answer to this one, and FWIW I'm primarily interested in the Linux+X+KDE combination.

If a program knows that something's going on that it might later need to tell the user about, e.g. that there's serial comms going on in the background even if the GUI's not being updated, is it possible to do anything that the LCL and lower levels will interpret similarly to keyboard and mouse activity in order to prevent a screen saver from kicking in?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk