On 02/26/2013 09:07 AM, Sven Barth wrote:

Helpers have the same problem. For now there is only one solution (as I already wrote): require that the type with which you specialize is a record. Then a class operator in that record can be defined.

For the future I already have the following longterm plans:
- add class operator support to class and object
- allow to specify additional units after "specialize" that will be used when specializing (they will be added first, so that the original code is not unnecessarily modified)

Here a "funny" question come up:

Why do we (still) have records at all ?

We do have classes that allow for static and/or virtual methods (of course no methods at all are possible, too. )

So why are record that now can have more than none methods. The only difference I see is that records can reside in other places than on the heap. But (if necessary) a certain type of class seems more straight forward to me (of course with "record" as a synonym for compatibility) .

AFAIK even old style Turbo-Pascal "Objects" are still in place.... That could be a certain type of class as well.

-Michael