On 06.04.2013 21:23, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
Nonetheless I don't understand what initialized properties in
non-component classes are good for, together with the observed behaviour
  of default values. Can somebody point me to the according documentation?

Streaming is introduced with TPersistent (or to be more precise: with any class declared when $M+ is set), so one can use this for streaming ones own classes or to build a different GUI toolkit (e.g. in theory Graeme could use the streaming for fpGUI as well).

Regards,
Sven