Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:46:57 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markmll.laza...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

What's the easiest way to implement something like xterm or konsole, that has minimal escape decoding for e.g. cursor control but under normal circumstances buffers output lines in scrollable form?

What I'm trying to do is implement some special 8-bit codepage mapping for programs run inside a window, but it would be desirable to be able to run a (unix) shell and a standard editor such as vi.

I'm interested in a terminal LCL control as well.

Please specify: do you want a terminal (e.g. VT-52) or a shell window?

I think it's necessary to separate "shell" (e.g. Bash on Linux) and "window" for the purpose of discussion.

The interesting case there is where a shell running in e.g. Xterm or Konsole, which normally appends output to the last line and scrolls, switches to running a text editor such as Vi where scrolling is inhibited. There's also the issue of keeping the environment variables that tell a child process the window size (in character units) up to date, and sending a WINCH signal when appropriate.

Once there's a control that can handle character-addressable output (and ideally can scroll as well), implementing VT-100 (or -52, or 3270, or whatever legacy command set one's lumbered with) is comparatively simple. It also depends somewhat on the underlying communications mechanism, i.e. serial, telnet, tn3270 or whatever turns you on.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk