Reimar Grabowski wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:33:50 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markmll.laza...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

So can anybody provide step-by-step instructions for writing a "Hello, World!" in Javascript, compiling it to asm.js, and running that from a (Linux) shell?
Nothing gets compiled from JS to asm.js (do you know what "strict subset"
means?). Did you even look at the specs?
Do you know at all what asm.js is?

Yes, and it rather looks as though you don't. asm.js has strictly numeric types, so you can't write a conventional "Hello, World!" in it. If you want to do that, then you have to write it in a suitable high-level language: I suggested Javascript, but I can see how that could be confusing so let's just accept /anything/ here.

Now if something like that can't, ultimately, be run from a shell or a makefile it's going to be problematic for an FPC port. It's going to be particularly problematic for the various tests that are run automatically to test the compiler's correctness: it's all very well saying that in the target environment FPC -> asm.js is used strictly to run apps in the context of Firefox but that's hardly going to be convenient for working through a large corpus of test cases.

Which is no *&%%&$ use to somebody trying to run e.g. the FPC test suite under makefile control.
That's a high goal for someone who cannot be bothered to inform himself what
the subject of his desire (asm.js) is.
Btw I don't know what *&%%&$ means but judging from your professional attitude
it must be some kind of profanity.

Ever tried to do your work yourself instead of begging for step-by-step
instructions? Speaking from experience I can tell you it is very fulfilling.

Yes. I'll say no more lest I let irritation get the better of diplomacy.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk