On 14.09.2013 11:12, Juha Manninen wrote:
On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markmll.laza...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
At least with the versions I've currently got available it looks as though
-R and -Cf defer to -i. Specifically, I see something like this in all cases
except x86:

   -A<x>  Output format:
       -Adefault  Use default assembler
       -Aas       Assemble using GNU AS

       -Cf<x>     Select fpu instruction set to use, see fpc -i for
possible values

   -R<x>  Assembler reading style:
       -Rdefault  Use default assembler for target

I think the -A output for SPARC Solaris might be different, but I can't
easily test right now.

I didn't quite understand the relation between -A and -R. Should I
care about it?

The -A option defines which assembler should be used to convert the assembly language files to object files. This for example includes the internal assemblers which directly assemble to object code.

The -R option defines what dialect is used for reading inline assembly. The two options are not related in any way.

Regards,
Sven