On 2013-10-24 21:49, Sven Barth wrote:
And if you'd now be so kind to explain please why you compile the compiler into your application? (I'm just curious ^^)

Curiousity, really.

And, there are several.

First, I wanted to see if it's possible/hard to work with compiler sources under Lazarus.

The reason I wanted to see that is basically because I have long lost the skill/patience to work with code in text mode --actually, I have come to abhor it altogether; probably because of the memories of intense claustrophobia it brings back.

Now that I seem to have passed that hurdle, I'd like to experiment with it --time permitting.

One of my aims (one which we discussed here a few years ago) is to rip the parser and lexer from the compiler. I want to have a token tree (including directives) from the mouth of the horse (so to speak).

I also want to see how hard it is to turn the compiler into a module of the frontend (see my text mode hatred) by getting rid of commandline switches (and also of textmode feedback).

Actually, I am surprised that no one (that I know of) has done this yet.

After all, both FPC and all the IDEs (Lazarus, fpGUI, MSEide+MSEgui etc.) use FPC but the degree of integration between them is lacking, IMO.

I want to see how hard it is to bring them a little closer.

As my little adventure with WriteLn show, it probably isn't very easy.

That alone is sufficient to make me well aware that these are quite grand targets, but I want to take stab all the same.

I have no grand schemes such as asking anyone to even consider incorporating my modifications (if I manage to produce any) into codebases of any of the above projects as I am well aware how taxing/impossible that sort of an endavor would be.

Anyway, if nothing else, it will be a great learning experience.

I love frustration :)