Reiner,

The Topaz database modules  were all based on the dbf system
with three separate files, a linked list  .dbf containing  Titles and
Headings that effectively controlled the saved data,  .dbt containing
the data items themselves, and .mdx a multiple indexing system.
I originally wrote a small program for members of an on-line
craft group to save hints and tips exchanged by email, but it
developed into a larger project with one fairly complex database
looking after the diet and feeding arrangements for a large
number of animals in a zoo.

Now, I am thinking about using dbf again but am still getting to grips
with the data saving options in Lazarus/Free Pascal.  Progress
so far (two days)  has been limited to writing brief test programs,
getting syntax  correct etc. Now I am trying to resolve a portability
problem. My compiled  fP file  runs immediately and perfectly
on Puppy Linux but will not run on Kubuntu or Mepis. Both these
systems are asking me to select a program to run the file.
This may be a permissions issue, although all appears to be
correct.

Gordon.