Il 28/06/2014 20:30, Marco van de Voort ha scritto:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 05:40:35PM +0200, Giuliano Colla wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did consider this possibility because
we have hundreds of Kylix projects which are still alive, and need
maintenance. Kylix IDE can only be used on old platforms/virtual
machines but the compiler and the applications still run in the most
recent ones.
I assume they are patched?

Nope. A Kilyx binary compiled under a RedHat 9 (Kernel 2.4.27 or so) runs under CentoOs 6 as it is. You only need to provide the Borland supplied Qt library (libborqt.so) in the loader search path. It also runs under a Linux From Scratch, with the latest 3.x kernel. But I prefer to recompile under the new platform, to make sure there are no libc incompatibilities which might pop up unexpectedly in the long run. However the sources are left untouched. I believe this be a sign of good design, from the Borland's good old times...
Until recently I wasn't aware of the possibility of extending the IDE
designer via a Mediator. But given this possibility, I find much more
interesting and stimulating the attempt to take advantage of this
feature, than the boring task of converting hundreds of Kylix
applications to LCL!
Fun as it may be, it is probably only postponing the inevitable. Still it
can be worth the effort to avoid converting all of them.

That being said, I wonder if it really belongs to Lazarus. It never was
styled as a general purpose IDE. OTOH, if this work adds some flexibility to
the designer, that would be a good thing.
Lazarus provides a wonderful IDE, and supports already quite a number of widgetsets. The added capability of supporting non-LCL widgetsets, opens quite a number of interesting evolutions, where non-LCL can take advantage of a large existing codebase, and LCL may take advantage from the comparison with different approaches.

Giuliano