If I understand correctly, the error here is that some tools cannot easily edit
.po files and instead want .pot files?
or what?

If the concern is that we don't follow what gettext docs say, should we be
worried also that we don't use .mo files?

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons (but not the only) to use .po files
directly (without .mo conversion) was because any text editor could be used to
edit them, but text editors usually don't mind what extension a text file has
(even, it could be argued if .txt extension should be used, but not please :)).

Jesus Reyes A.