Kostas,

I agree, I'd also like to a docked form designer but that is likely
something a long way off.

In the meantime, I'm not sure if you are aware, but a great new feature was
added to Lazarus for docked mode recently and I urge you to try it out.
This feature brings the form designer to the top whenever you touch a
component on the palette. Additionally, I've pinned the visual layout tree
above the object inspector for times when you want to set properties of
already placed components. And finally, the quickly F12 key toggles between
code editor and the form if you need that. I honestly hope you give the new
feature a bit of a try before make a final judgement.

If after trying out this new feature you still prefer the floating Windows,
it's simple to go back to the old layout.

Simply select "Package -> Install/Uninstall Packages" from the main menu,
click on "AnchorDockingDsgn" in the left column (the first item), click
"Uninstall Selection", and finally click "Save and rebuild the IDE". The
IDE will rebuild itself momentarily  and you will be back to the floating
window layout.

This is the same process, but with different package names, for adding or
removing any IDE enhancements, as well as installing/uninstalling
components.

Regarding your concern of colors, you can set them to whatever you like. If
you prefer the default Lazarus color scheme, right click in the editor and
select "Options -> Colors", and switch to "Default" colors using the second
button in the toolbar.