On 07/23/2015 12:42 AM, Richard Mace wrote:
Hi all,
I am really interested in tracking how many people are using my software and was
wondering what people that would be a good and ethical way of doing it. Any
thoughts?

quite many "call home" packages are quickly removed over here unless they are extremely important and required... in those cases, they are blocked from making the call... this mainly because of privacy concerns... it is no one's business when someone executes a program or how long they are running it or other metrics that may be divined from certain "call home" connections... in some areas of the world, the use of timestamps in messaging is illegal because of the possibility of tracking when someone may be at home or work...

if you really desire this information, make it configurable so that those who don't care can enable it if they like... it should be disabled by default, though...