Donald Ziesig wrote:
Hi All,

I ran out of room on the raspberry pi's 8GB NOOBS SD card so I just created a new SD 16GB card with the latest version of Raspbian. I got all of the usual tools working in short order (VNC, SSH, FTP,...).

Then I decided to build a completely new version of FreePascal and Lazarus from source (just to prove that I can ;-) ), but I can't compile any style of fpc 3.0.0 from:

    svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0_rc2 fpc2
    svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0_rc1 fpc1
    svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/branches/fixes_3_0 fpc

I am using fpc 2.6.4 as the bootstrap compiler.

make sure you start off with a binary tailored for the Rpi. I think that the last time I started from scratch I got it from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mseide-msegui/files/fpcarm/

Current Raspbian provides the necessary prerequisites, but you might need to tweak fpc.cfg or provide an explicit -Fl.

The compilation then ran to completion but the build failed because "Binary files ppp3 and ppcarm differ". (Why there are two executables and what it means that they are different is beyond me :-[ ).

Because the standard build checks that repeated recompilations are substantially the same.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk