The RC1 and RC2 versions have been tested for a while now but we have
not heard any complaints about the new improved Unicode support.
Does that mean it works perfectly?

Windows is of biggest interest. There the new UTF-8 support breaks
existing code when it depends on system codepage.
For that reason LCL can also be used without the new UTF-8 support by
defining "DisableUTF8RTL".
The relevant wiki pages:
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_with_FPC3.0_without_UTF-8_mode

Feedback please.

This is from taazz, copied from the "New menu designer" thread:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 5:35 AM, taazz <t...@evosi.eu> wrote:
> Well I'm stuck on lazarus 1.4.4 for the foreseeable future mostly because
> 1.6 made a pretty aggressive jump to utf8 and I do not have the time nor the
> inclination to retest every line of code that I have based on unicodestring
> and widestring and partly because testing new lazarus versions gets longer
> and longer each year. So I'm going to change the old one to fit my needs,
> although I like the look and feel of the new one.

LCL continues to work as before when you define "DisableUTF8RTL". Then
AnsiString is coded with the system codepage by default. The UTF-8
conversion functions still work.
Supporting this backwards compatible mode became a high priority
because you and some others expressed concerns about the default UTF-8
encoding.
Are you saying you will not even test the "DisableUTF8RTL" mode? Its
known bugs were fixed already. More feedback would be nice.

If you still decide to use FPC 2.6.4, you can do it with Lazarus 1.6.
It will be compatible for the life-cycle of 1.6.x.
Then AnsiString is 100% compatible with Lazarus 1.4.4 (obviously).
See, you can freely choose the best combination.

I don't know why you always find excuses to complain. It is not nice.
Please stop it.

Juha