On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:

Marco van de Voort wrote:
On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:07:46AM +0100, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:

As part of PasDoc project we have developed simple file_to_pascal_string
utility for this purpose. Just get
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/pasdoc/code/trunk/source/tools/file_to_pascal_string.dpr
and compile it.

Kind of redundant if two such tools come with FPC (data2inc and bin2obj)

Hm, I admit I simply didn't know about them long time ago, when creating
file_to_pascal_xxx utilities in PasDoc:)

Looking at them now:

1. They both have quite longer code than our simple
file_to_pascal_string.dpr / file_to_pascal_data.dpr...

 In particular data2inc wants to do much more (being able to process a
special file format like data2inc.exm). Although it can do the simple
thing when invoked with -b option.

 But bin2obj is cool, almost exactly what we need, and could replace
file_to_pascal_string and file_to_pascal_data indeed.

As the author of bin2obj, I thank you for these words :-)

2. However, neither of them produces a string with line endings
expressed as LineEnding constant (so it's OS-specific when output). And
we actually like that:) Both bin2obj and data2inc encode the text to a
series of characters, and newlines are expressed by explicit chars (like
#10 when input has Unix line endings).

 But that's a minor thing indeed. If we would know about bin2obj back
then, we would probably use it:)

Patches certainly accepted. I use bin2obj in production today still...

Michael.