Micha Nelissen wrote:

> Joost van der Sluis wrote:
>
>> Why not?
>>
>> If the developer uses an editor outside of Lazarus, he should be keen
>> enough to understand that he has to force a build of his project.
>

> Maybe not an editor but a version control system. Or it's on a network
> drive and somebody else modified a file, or ...
>
> Then when debugging, the source code won't match, and you get annoying
> "bugs", execution trace "randomly" jumping etc.
>
> Micha

Yeah, please add superb version control to Lazarus IDE ;-)
Just kidding....
This issue was discussed on IRC once a day...

Please do it under IDE level and simply add additional option to allow
checking by fpc also (for somebody who cares)
I could check in such way:
at first stage : if project files were modified (and timestamp is newer
then existing executable) or executable is missing
at second (optional) stage fpc compile project and return information
(simple return value from called process) if something was changed
Speed and configurable.

P.S. the main issue to resolve are include files modification. How it
can be detected ? (also we could stick to fact that  Lazarus knows if it
was modified inside IDE, and forget about outside modification)

Regards
Boguslaw Brandys