> > > Is there anything in the pipeline where applications written in lazarus
> > > can be compiled for a browser GUI?
> > > Meaning that the gui will appear within a browser and therefore web
> > > accessible?
> >
> > ("compiled for a browser GUI" = "browser plugin"? "appear within a
> > browser" = "be built into the browser frame like a toolbutton or label
> > or something extending the page you are looking at"? "web accessible" =
> > "be an actual web page that can be looked at with _any browser_"?)
> >
> > No, the web is radically different. Retrofitting a gui app onto a web
> > page will suck. I've seen it, some people did it for a (huge) app in our
> > company. (If you meant something like client side XUL, that is, writing
> > a browser plugin/extension, then I misunderstood you - that is an
> > entirely different matter)
> >
> > It's really hard to come up why this is so but it is.
> >
> > Maybe because on the web one expects to read pages, like in books, not
> > see free-form GUI controls (like GUI forms are 80% air and web pages  -
> > ok, good ones -  are 80% actual text information).

There is something like IntraWeb that someone might be able to get working in
Lazarus
(in several years maybe).

I actually agree with fast prototyping, such as visual development sometimes -
but
HTML isn't capable enough and not suited for the pixel based form style
development.

If a future language is developed for the web to load up pixel based documents,
I'll
change my thinking and will look into tools that do that (such as Delphi clones
like
turbophp/intraweb). I've written about something called a "component based web
browser" in the future, where instead of loading a document a browser, will
load an
application from a server. The main problem with using things like
javascript/java
applets is that sometimes they don't work - some people have issues with them on
certain web browsers. So I always end up saying to myself "well, best I design
this
using HTML and CGI, without javascript at all, because then I'm guaranteed for
it to
work on my visitors computer".

I will use tools like turbophp/intraweb style in the future, if there was a
better
pixel language under the hood (i.e. not html). But until then, HTML restricts
these
tools severely. The tools are good ideas, but it is HTML that ruins their
parade. I'm
not saying in the future there will be no HTML, just that there should be some
pixel
based alternative in the future, in order for these tools to work with full
control.