On 07 Jan 2006 12:57:40 +0100
Darius Blaszijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I've got again a question on ''new project' and "new project from
> > > file", boh located under the project menu. As to the first, I believe
> > > it is a copy of  the "new" menu entry located under the file menu.
> >
> > Historically it's the other way round.
> > And it's not the same code.
> I'm very cautious here, but I believe I disagree with you. Both call the
> procedure DoNewProject.

Yes.
I only meant: The 'New ...' shows a different dialog and both use
DoNewProject to create the project.

> > > So IMHO this
> > > could be deleted from the project menu, anybody object? The next menu
> > > entry, I believe should also be moved to newdialog. So in effect
> > > delete both from the project menu.
> >
> > Does it hurt there? I would miss it.
> No it definitely does not hurt, but my idea is that opening and saving
> of projects should be put under the file menu. It just makes more sense
> to me.

Well, we can add it at both places.
A project menu, that contains all project items, like 'open' and 'save',
should have also the 'new' item for consistency.
OTOH many programs put their 'new something' items under file, so maybe many
users are used to search there first.
At the moment they can already create a new project under both menus ('File
-> New ...' and 'Project -> New Project').
In short words: IMHO removing it from the project menu would break
consistency, and adding it to File menu would be redundant.

> I would also like to join the remark made by Felipe on 30-12. We should
> improve the "New" dialog, make it more powerful. Mattias added the
> library item, but I believe we should also add component. Don't know if
> someone ever heard of component create, but I have obtained the source
> of the author and this will be released under some opensource licence
> (not yet determined) and ported to Lazarus of course. Could it be an
> idea to add it to the "new" dialog? For those not familiar with it,
> component create makes it possible to add and declare methods,
> properties, events and subcomponents. If desired you an also add code
> per declared item. Then you generate the skeleton for the code. So in
> effect it's much more than the "classc" code template.

Sounds great.

Mattias