At 20:40 15-1-2006, you wrote:

> So in short: The only way to get a major speedup in linking is to have an
> internal linker so the .o is not needed anymore and can be stored in the
> ppu. But i don't have the time to code such an internal linker so don't
> expect anything before 2007.

And I wonder about the Windows.a and Windows.o file, do you think borland uses some magic tricks there or do they actually just treat the windows.tpu/windows.dcu file just like any other dcu file. I guess I will look at the DCU file and report back with more information, but it is hard to say whether they place the entire dcu file
into memory or whether they have some other magic tricks up their sleeves.

All those external references to DLLs are generated by the linker and don't need to be stored in the dcu. For FPC we can do the same since ld now also supports direct linking to DLL files. When the FPC port to win32 started that was not the case.

Peter