> Recently, support for {R$ } directive on linux was added to the
> compiler. I donĀ“t know how this helps, however.

> > no idea what that's for in practise... Unix usually goes the other way,
> > separating everything, not stuffing everything and their brother into
> > one file.

I guess the advantage of having something in one file are that there is no
dependency
hell. That and you can move around the one single file in a file manager without
worrying whether 5 files need to be copied with it or just 2 with it. If you
copy
just 3 and you forgot the other 2 dependent files you run into  dependency hell.
I guess there is a point in which the line shall be drawn - the Windows
registry is
one big file and it is a giant piece of hard to access dangerous un-recommended
crap.
I find as an application gets larger in size, more things need to be separated
out.
Same with websites - template files and CSS stylesheets are more and more
useful as
the site gets bigger.  But for prototypes and quick RAD applications, it is
sometimes
better to have things in one single pack with the ability to expand outward
later
(bigger apps uses packages, dynamic libraries, settings files, resource files,
but
quick rad prototypes are easier to ship in one single executable).