Hi,

Am Freitag, den 03.03.2006, 23:10 +0100 schrieb darekm:
> [...]
> If I want (as programmer) to one of buttons will be red, user should'n
> change it by change theme

I merely react to this grossly out of context (so please forgive me),
but I just can't resist...

Did you really mean what I read you to mean?

Many (and I mean MANY) people can't even _see_ red (but can see colors
that somewhat resemble it), so they _have_ to change it... others don't
like the color red because of psychic problems (after witnessing
accidents, ...) (especially big red areas on buttons that look like a
puddle of blood that flows around until it reaches some obstacle).
Others don't like it because of other reasons.
Low-color displays (over modem lines etc) have 256 color limitations,
which makes hardcoded color values a PITA, because they eat up palette
entries for _all_ applications and in the end you can't read a thing.
(not mentioning black-and-white displays here because they got kind of
rare)

http://vision.about.com/od/commonvisiondefects/ss/colorblindimage_3.htm

Let's not go back to the dark old times where the programmer decided
what was good and the user needed to eat it, whether he wants to or not.
Also, nowadays, we usually do have some processor cycles to spare for
doing the right thing.

gtk does the right thing by letting the programmer register "style
properties" for a widget class. These names can then be used in themes
and gtk will assign the theme color to the style property of the widgets
of that class on runtime.

I know that it usually depends on the target audience whether it's ok to
take shortcuts like hardcoding colors (if your program is to be used by
an internal group of 5 people, new people never enter, and none of them
has color blindness, sure, hardcode red all you like). _But_ when
designing a framework, that is the wrong way to take because they affect
all the users there are.

sigh.

cheers,
  Danny