Alexander Todorov wrote:
On 3/22/06, Marc Weustink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alexander Todorov wrote:

Hello folks,
I get this error
ERROR in LCL: TWinControl.CreateWnd: no parent :Tn7XMLDoc

This happens when trying to use TDBGrid.Canvas.TextWidth, when the
grid is not visible.
The object of class Tn7XMLDoc is created before that with Parent TPanel.
Should I investigate this further? Is it really a LCL bug or my fault?

Do I understand it correctly that Tn7XMLDoc is created but not yet
placed on a panel ?
In that case you cannot use all properties. Delphi has similar behaviour.

Marc

At the time the error occurs the Tn7XMLDoc object is created but its
parent is nil.
So I should not use Canvas.TextWidth if Parent = nil ? Is this the
normal behaviour ?

I wouldn't count on a canvas fully available when there is no parent.
And yes, Delphi has this too (if we take that os normal behaviour)

Marc