Joost van der Sluis wrote:
[...] With PostgreSQL it blows when I try to go up
records in a grid instead of going down. Probably has more to do with
I was going up from a newly inserted record.

Yes, it was probably a bug in TBufDataset, which is used for all
connection-types. Try to use fpc 2.1.1, the svn-version. There this bug
should be fixed (in fact, it's rewritten). You can find pre-compiled
snapshots on the lazarus website.

This seems to have fixed that issue.

In MySQL i never get to a run stage it dies in the IDE when I try to
activate the query component.

That's a different issue, if this problem remains with 2.1.1, please let
me know.

Actually with the new FPC I now have the components described in the MySQL Database document on the wiki. So instead of having one component I have three versioned ones. After I guessed the right component to use I have been able to successfully connect.

One thing that might be helpful is if the there was someway of denoting the client library version instead of the MySQL server version (libmysqlclient.so.10 = v10, libmysqlclient.so.12 = v12). My reasoning is that the MySQL component used has to match the installed client lib and not necessarily the server version. This is a frequent problem for me because I have situations where there are multiple MySQL servers running different versions of MySQL on the network and the client libs are typically installed to match the software being used. This is also a problem with using a notebook and traveling from site to site.

It's pretty to work with Firebird, yes. Never tried FB 2.0 with sqldb
before, though. But it's unlikely that they changed the API like MySQL
does, so I don't expect any issues.

I'm not sure I like its size. In its default install ps reports its sucking up ~50mb of ram. MySQL and ProstgreSQL are way lighter. It might be config thing though. Haven't given up on it yet.

On another note: I've seen some strange behavior with the DB grid. I have a table with 3 records in it. In the IDE I see all three. When I run the application I see two until I go to insert a new record then the grid repopulates with all three and the new row for a fourth.

Lastly: After new records are inserted on a grid is there something I have to do to get them to post to the database? They aren't being added. Kylix required that I post the transaction.

THX - Jon
--
Jon Foster
JF Possibilities, Inc.