Hi John,

Maybe you should look at using a OPF (Object Persistent Framework) to
solve your transaction issues, as well as lookups etc...  I have
ported the TechInsite tiOPF version 2 to Free Pascal and have been
using it with Lazarus in a commercial environment for the last 8
months with great success. Before that I have used tiOPF under Delphi
for the last 3 years.

I understand that moving over to a OPF for data and object handling is
a huge learning curve, but soon you will start reaping the rewards.
One of the great things about using a OPF (and there are many others)
is that DB handling is all done for you as well as transactions.  All
you need to work with is you related objects and just go Object.Save
or Object.Load.  Switching database backend is also a no brainer, just
change a Compiler Define (nothing else in code changes).

To read more about the tiOPF and how it works go to the following link.
http://www.techinsite.com.au/tiOPF
The website is a bit out of date, so is the documentation, but the
internals of the OPF still apply to Ver.2.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1